Thursday, February 3, 2011

Homemade Power Bars

So last night I try my hand at making some non-bake power bars!!  I got the recipe while watching The Marilyn Denis Show on Tuesday morning.  On the show she had a chef who was making 2 different recipe for power bars.  Since the weather outside was horrible, I chose to swap some items for what I had in my cupboards. I altered the recipe a bit, but I think they came out delicious!  If you want the original recipe click on the link, but here is my version.
2 cups room-temperature peanut butter (you can use soy butter to make this recipe peanut-free)

2/3 cup palm syrup (didn't have maple but I had a can of palm syrup from Chile, yummy!)
¼ cup safflower oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cups steel cut oats
1/2 cup of oat bran
3/4 cup natural almonds(chopped)
¼ cup chia seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped figs
1/2 cup finely chopped Goji berries
1 cup unsweetened coconut

Add peanut butter, palm syrup and safflower oil into a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.  Stir in cocoa powder, oat bran, oats, almonds, chia seeds, figs, Goji berries, and coconut.  Line an 8 inch (2 L) square glass or metal pan with aluminum foil so it overhangs pan.  Press mixture into pan.  Refrigerate  overnight, until firm.  To serve, lift squares out of pan using aluminum foil.  Cut into 32 bars.  I wrapped each bar with plastic wrap and put half of them in the freezer. 
They came out soft, chewy, and tasty. And I believe they are as nutritional as the original recipe.
Bob took one to work to try and he loved it!!  That's proof enough for me!

1 comment:

  1. How cool! I think my boyfriend would be so into this. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete